29 April 2009

incomprehensible

I have "bookmarked" my blog [yes, I still, as of 2009, feel the need to use quotation marks around verbs not previously used to mean what they now mean] and every time I click on the bookmark I am directed to an Arabic version of my blog. I never asked for this. Does my blog somehow detect that I am in Egypt [yes, I realize I write Cairo, Egypt as my location, but I've also tried Brooklyn, NY] and therefore switch to Arabic? Shouldn't it also, if it's that smart, be able to detect that I write in English and therefore provide its offerings in my language of choice?

The real problem with the Arabic script on the internet is the size: it's nearly microscopic. Although I am familiar with the open apple + command, upon viewing the mass confusion of miniscule letters I instantly become frustrated and begin clicking on random words, without any regard for meaning. When the Arabic script is that small it seems not only foreign but thoroughly frustrating.

And this is not the only misunderstanding of the night. I seem to be confounded by my own reaction, my own feelings. I found out tonight that someone I know is pregnant. Obviously this is hardly the first time, nor will it be the last but it struck me: I have felt lost and unsure since I was told; surely confusing feelings when they are combined with my happiness for her. It just so happens that this person is less a friend of mine than the person with whom I reside; a long time friend of his. Might I also add an unmarried, long time friend in her 20s? Yes, yes, of course I am happy for her, rejoicing in her joy. And yet, it strikes me that I am somehow in the wrong place and time. I can't seem to fit things together and make them flow as they should. Not that I want that to be me today or yesterday or even tomorrow, but I don't understand why it just simply can't be like that for me, why it isn't an option.

1 comment:

Daniel DioGuardi said...

Your location is detected (and hence your "preferences" altered) based upon your ISP. It's data mining at its purest, and most unavoidable for the average computer user.

As for the last part, well, I won't comment on that.

Glad you're writing.