06 May 2009

Unfinished

The sand has finally stopped storming over the little town of Maadi in the bigger town of Cairo. My lungs have taken yet another beating. A coughing fit visited me during the credits of "He's just not that into you," interrupting the first time I'd heard Robert Smith's voice wailing during a film that Friday is an appropriate day for him to be in love. Definitely something I like about Drew Barrymore productions: the girl's got good music taste.

The film itself I give no more than a B, maybe even with a minus. Undoubtedly it's difficult to turn a dating advice book-- organized according to vignettes punctuated by questions and followed by all too obvious answers-- into a fictionalized story that can hold the viewers' interest for 2 hours. [Parenthetically I wonder how much of the film was sliced and diced-- what juicy sex scenes did I miss out on having watched it in Cairo?]

No comments: